Facebook smashes earnings, stock soars
- Q2 earnings per share (adjusted): $0.97 vs expectations of $0.82
- Q2 revenue: $6.44 billion versus $6.02 billion expected, up 59% year-over-year
- Q2 monthly active users: 1.71 billion (1.69 billion expected), an increase of 15% year-over-year
- Q2 daily active users: 1.13 billion (1.12 billion expected), up 17% year-over-year
- Total costs and expenses were $3.69 billion, up 33% year-over-year andcapital expenditures were $995 million.
- Free cash flow for the first quarter of 2016 was $2.20 billion.
- Only 3% (197 million) of Facebook's revenue came from payments and other fees, down 8% year-over-year — the company attributed this decline to a drop in revenue from gaming apps.
- Most of Facebook's revenue comes from North America and Europe with about only 25% ($1.6 billion) coming from Asia-Pacific and the rest of the world. But those areas account for 67% of its monthly active users. The average revenue per user in those regions is still tiny, compared to in the US: $1.77 and $1.13, respectively, versus $14.34 and $4.72 in the US and Europe.
- Facebook has 14,500 employees, up 32% year-over year